Thursday, February 22, 2007

Photo of the day 22 de febrero de 2007


What a difference a day makes! This is Playa Borinquen, the same beach as in yesterday's photo, only 24 hours later. I grabbed this shot on the way back from shooting surfers off Wilderness Beach this morning, just to show the contrast.

Wilderness was okay but nothing too exciting. One thing did find out: The early morning light at wilderness is GREAT. This time of year it's directly full-front on the wave face. Later in the year it will be a little more edge light, but by then the waves probably won't be as good. The best surfing down here is from December through April or so. After that, we snorkelers get the ocean back.

I love shooting pics of the surfers and kite surfers but it's a lot of hurry-up-and-wait. I'm going to start packing surfer-watching box: comfy folding chair, EXTRA water, EXTRA sunblock, a cooler, a good book.

On a completely different note, dear regular readers, you've all put up with my whining about internet access issues. Well, now my i-net is fine but I HAVE NO CELL SERVICE down here at the base of the mountain. Service has been really reliable until yesterday. Now it's really really spotty - and non-existent where I am most of the time. This wouldn't be quite so important except that cell phone is my lifeline to E. back in Michigan. Since it doesn't cost extra, we call each other three or four times a day. That's the only thing that's made this separation possible/anywhere near bearable.

So I walk around and hold my phone like a divining rod, moving side to side, up and down, searching for that illusive signal. I'm not the only one searching for a signal. I see people slowly drive by, stop, back up, turn a little, pull forward, drive to the corner, turn around, and repeat the whole process going the other direction.

I'm guessing SunCom lost a tower in the high winds over the last few days. I hope they get fixed really really quickly.

No comments: