Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Photo of the day 18 de abril de 2007


The Northeast U.S. has been hammered the past few days by a huge Nor'easter. To all of you living through it, we hope you and your loved ones are safe and finally starting to dry out.

As bad as that storm has been for the Northeast, surfers here are enjoying the late-season swells it's pushing our way. Yesterday started out kinda flat but built a bit by late afternoon. Today was good pretty much all around the corner of the island.

I've been trying my hand at some in-the-water surf shots. I started at Jobos because it's fairly shallow and the big karst formation provides some relief if I need it. Today I REALLY needed it! Big waves and a rip that surprised me. I was prepared for the waves - I expected to get pounded (I wasn't disappointed!). But the rip caught me a bit off guard. It took a while to get used to it and to work with it and not against it.

This in-the-water stuff is a lot harder than it looks! My hat is off to all those photographers who go out in the big stuff day after day to get great shots. I don't know if I'll ever get in the water in big waves at Wilderness. But I still got a few good shots. This is one of the best.

There are more photos on www.puertoricosurfphoto.com. Click on the "surfing" button and the on the links for 4.17 and 4.18. I'll try to get some up on Flickr as well for everybody who's used to looking there. Hope you enjoy them!

No comments: