Friday, October 12, 2007

Christmas in the Caribbean


Before we get to Christmas, Happy Columbus Day! I've written before that Puerto Ricans lover their holidays. Monday (Oct. 8) was the "official" U.S. Federal Columbus Day holiday. Today, October 12 is the official Puerto Rican holiday. Wow. Two holidays in one week for the same event. Imagine that.

I think I also wrote before about Christmas here. Puerto Ricans love Christmas above all other holidays - except Three Kings Day, which is actually bigger than Christmas. I first thought the Christmas celebration started the week of Thanksgiving and lasted at least until Three Kings Day (January 6). Or sometime just before Easter. It appears I was wrong.

At least the little town of San Antonio, just "up the mountain" from us, has their Christmas decorations up in the plaza already. I'm not sure when they put them up; I first saw them day before yesterday. I haven't been out and about enough to know if other towns have theirs up yet.

I do know that KMart and WalMart took all their summer beach/garden stuff out about the middle of September and immediately replaced it with huge displays of - you guessed it - Christmas stuff. Little tiny displays for Thanksgiving. Maybe one aisle for Halloween. Whole walls for Christmas already! I'll try to get pictures.

We love the Christmas celebrations here. But even many of the Puerto Ricans we talk to think this WAY too early to have all the Christmas stuff out. Thank you KMart and Walmart. By the time Christmas gets here, we'll all be so tired of it, it won't be fun any more.

No, that's not true. It will still be great and fun. Not even the insensitive big box stores can take the joy out of a Puerto Rican holiday!

No comments: