Friday, June 20, 2008

Snorkeling and diving 'round the corner

Our friend Kendra above the reef on our dive at Natural

From Elaine - We have a beautiful beach just minutes from our door…Shacks (or Bajuras) as it’s called, is a wonder for snorkeling and scuba diving. It’s renowned worldwide.

But sometimes I truly enjoy going ‘round the corner, just south and west of where we live and snorkeling or diving at Wishing Well, Natural, or Crashboat beaches. The first two, in particular, are magical to me. They include so many soft corals and loads of turtles and other fish and aquatic creatures that it truly feels like they are in a world of magic. I had the joy of scuba diving at Natural with John and Darryl and our friend, Kendra, several months ago. It was my first dive there and only my 4th dive ever. It was amazing! Visibility was 50-60 feet and I saw rock beauties, a moray eel, brown garden eels, blue and brown chromis, a Southern stingray, 2 spotted eagle rays, queen and French angel fish, hogfish, numerous types of butterfly fishes, coneys, graysbys, big-eyes (e.g., squirrel fish), and a school of Southern sennet, not to mention so many different corals I thought I would burst.

Since then, we have snorkeled numerous times in the area and even snorkeling is an experience that is unbelievably beautiful and unique every time.

I never thought of myself as a person who was passionate about the ocean and experiencing its beauty (except through Jacques Cousteau or National Geographic TV specials when I was a kid). But, that has changed since moving here. I can never get over the precious miracles and varieties of living creatures the exist just below the surface. And, I hope my gratitude for these gifts is shown in the ways I try to help preserve, protect and educate myself and others about this amazing environment.

No comments: