Sunday, June 01, 2008

We were missed

I am always humbled - amazed - grateful - surprised when I see the presence Ola Lola's has in our little community.

People who stop here for the first time frequently say things like, "We've been driving by your little place and you always wave at us. We just had to stop." Or, "We got here Tuesday. We couldn't wait for you to open so we could stop and have a drink."

We had a good night Friday night, our first night back. Many of our regulars stopped in. "We missed you guys!" "That's it: you can't close anymore." "My boyfriend was out of town. Ola Lola's was closed. I just stayed home and watched TV."

The responses amaze me. Thank you all for the wonderful support.

And now, after being back for two nights, we have to close again tonight. This time it's not our fault, not our choice. Today is party primary election day in PR. By law, anytime there is an election, you can't sell (or theoretically consume) alcoholic beverages from midnight election day until 9:00 pm. The reason is to avoid fights, fueled by alcohol, during elections. Apparently, such fights have been known to occur and to occasionally get out of hand. Yes, we could open at 9:00 pm (our stated closing time) but I think I'm going on a night dive instead.

We'll be back tomorrow night though.

No comments: