Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Happy Father's Day (belated)

First of all I hope all the fathers had a wonderful day. I had a pretty lazy day - right up 'til Ola Lola's opened. We worked our tails off! (Not complaining, mind you, but it was Father's Day.)

To my own children, Happy Father's Day from your father. Please know that your father is happy and that you are one of the reasons he is happy with his life. (To make a sudden shift) I miss you and wish we were more a part of each other's lives, but I'm happy you are living your own life. Your mother, stepmother and I worked very hard so you could be independent, even from us. (Especially from us?...)

To my own father, I miss you, more with each passing year. There are so many things left unsaid between us, and so much of what was said was said badly. I was always afraid I was a disappointment to you (Mom said I'm wrong), that my son John is the son you should have had. Be that as it may, I wish you were here to know your grandchildren and now your great-granddaughters. I think you would love them. And I think you would be proud of the way your grandchildren turned out, in spite of my mistakes as a parent. I know I am proud of them. I wish you could know them.

One thing that was never said enough: I love you, Dad. Happy Father's Day.

No comments: