Sunday, July 25, 2010

Photos never taken

Rain rain rain. We broke a 50-year-old record for rainfall this month. If all the rain we've had this year were snow, we would have nearly 27 feet of snow. We've been pumping water out of our yard and out of the brand new corral almost constantly since last Friday. But yesterday and today we have sunshine. Maybe, just maybe, things will start to dry out.

But I really don't want to talk about rain. I want to talk about pictures, especially beautiful brilliant photos I've never taken, that only exist in my head.

Yesterday I "took" one of those photos.

Darryl and I met at Crashboat for what was supposed to be training deep dive (100'-125') for one of Darryl's students . The student didn't show so Darryl and I went anyway. Because of all the rain we've had, we expected marginal visibility so neither of us took a camera. But visibility was much better than we expected.

At one point on the way back up, the sandy bottom has kind of a sharp slope up and in is covered with green seagrass. We'd been swimming with a hawksbill turtle for a few minutes . Then he (or she) took off ahead of us, swam up the grass-covered slope and then on up above it. We both stopped for a moment to watch the turtle soar above the bottom silhouetted against the bright blue water/sky behind him. It was a magic moment. And of course, no camera. So it goes into my file of amazing photos never taken.

No comments: