Monday, October 07, 2013

Buses in St Lucia


This is a bus stop here Castries. The buses do have a regular schedule which is to run their route over and over as quickly as possible for their entire shift. They probably start out staggered but lots of times there will be one every 3-4 cars or so. Since there are so many running at any one time and their routes all are on the same main road generally, they come every couple of minutes or so...at least during commuting times.

Sometimes bus drivers will actually leave their route if they're not too full and no one objects. Of course, that's for a little extra consideration ($), but all the same it's super nice. That's how I got home from a recent trip to Pigeon Island...and he even stopped and waited while I got grilled chicken to go!

I know the buses run at night, but guessing that's more like every 15-20 min., but that's purely a guess. There's no need (or place) to post a schedule.

Once you know what bus you want, all you do is go to the bus stop, stand there and flag it down when it's driving towards you. I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus and frequently I'll be getting on one as I watch 2-3 others pass by while I'm loading. And, when you want to get off, you just say "bus stop, driver" when your stop is coming up. You pay when you get off the bus (almost always) and that's that.

No comments: