Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 21st - the 31st Day of Winter


So this morning started with a relatively short early morning surf photo session at Middles. There was a little swell and I wanted to catch some of it. Heaven knows there has been much surf to photograph this year so far. It turned out to be a much better session than I expected.

You have to love those northeast swells. some really good photo opportunities at Middles and then around the corner to scuba dive at a totally flat Natural. The water continues to be flat and clear and amazing. It was our friend Gretel's birthday dive.


So the thing about this coral is, it is this red-orange at a depth of 55 feet. At 55 feet, because of the physics of light and water and color, there is very little left of the red end of the spectrum. That's why underwater photos look so green and blue: the water absorbs wavelengths of light, beginning with red. If this thing is this red at 55 feet, I can't even begin to imagine how intense the color would be a the surface.


We woke this poor guy up from a nap. He was pretty good natured about it, though, much better than I would have been. He let us hang out with him for a while.

It was a good day. As my good friend and dive buddy said, "my life is not too bad if all I have to complain about is I'm bored taking pictures of John with a turtle."

Amen.

No comments: