Sunday, March 12, 2017

Best moments


A very dear friend of ours has a chronic condition that severely limits her activities, that keeps her confined to bed for days at a time. As you might imagine, this can be wearing and discouraging, especially for a person who, up until the time she was stricken, led a very full, very active life.

A couple of months ago, as a way to stay focused on the positive, Elaine and our friend began trading daily "best moments." However small, these best moments are victories. Some days they are easy to find. Other days one has to sift through what feels like a mountain for that one positive grain.

I'm going to use that idea as a way to push myself to write something here every day. If I focus on that one small thing, maybe I'll be better at it than I've been. I really hate it when I leave big gaps between posts.

Today's best moment is especially for our friend, not only because it's the first but also because she loves sea turtles and this best moment is about swimming with a turtle.

Plans to go scuba diving this morning fell through so I went snorkeling at Wishing Well, one of our favorite snorkeling sites. This site is under threat by planned resort development so getting there as often as possible and documenting what's there is important.

Although we snorkel there frequently, we tend to cover the same parts of the reef. Today seemed like a good time to check out less familiar parts of the reef. I swam over a small hole in the reef and this little guy popped up. He was completely unconcerned with my presence. We swam together for several minutes.

So that's today's "best moment:" swimming with a sea turtle.


No comments: