Friday, May 05, 2017

Best Moment(s) Thursday 170504


Thursday's best  moment(s) are all about the beach and the animals.

Even as he struggles with weakened muscles and the lingering effects of his stroke, Amber's happiest moments of the day are on the beach.


Now, to maximize his beach time and minimize the time and walking to get to the beach. we drive there. I know, it's only about a four minute walk (without dogs, 10-12 minutes with) but why make him walk those extra steps? For him it's all about the  beach! I'll do whatever I can to make that easier and better for him.




The other best beach moment was with Chocolate. He and I went for a ride, just the two of us. My plan was to ride down the road toward the beach to an area we call the "campground." An extended family owns a couple of lots there. Three or four times a year they all show up with tents and camp there for the weekend. Hence the name. But there are rows of trees and little open areas that are fabulous for working a horse. We can weave between the trees, pick up the pace in the "avenues" between the trees, go around them, all kinds of activity. It's just a great place to work out. Chocolate was on his best behavior. He was listening to me, responding well to my cues. So, after a bit of work, we headed on down the calle to the beach.

Frequently, if we're out alone, without the other horses, Chocolate will balk going down the dune to beach. Not Thursday! We went straight down the dune and off down the beach at a trot. Here again he was listening and responsive. Mostly I just gave him very light cues and he gave me what I asked for.

Chocolate has a habit of walking or trotting in a pretty straight line near the water's edge on the beach. We're working to break him out of this pattern, this habit by making him move up and down the beach more. He gave me some attitude about it but with some mostly gentle corrections, he was soon responding to those requests as well.

It was a great ride and more great moments with our animals on the beach.

No comments: