Friday, June 02, 2017

Best moment Saturday 170520


(Sorry these posts are out of order. I'm trying get the story of my life back in order after a confusing week of rain, thunderstorms, squirrelly dogs and power outages.)

Because of the weather - unseasonably warm one week, daily thunderstorms the next - I spent a lot more time indoors through the midday. And I admit it: much of the time I could have been writing I've spent learning more about photography.

I've been into photography since I was 16, a really long time ago. Most of the time I consider myself to be a good photographer, self-taught, but pretty knowledgeable. Every now and then I realize how much I don't know and how much better I could be.

Since the surf is down and the drought on diving continues, I'm looking for other things to photograph. As a true Gemini, I'm interested in all of it. For a while I'll focus on portraits, then land/seascapes, then food photography. That's a lot of ground to cover. I've spent a lot of time watching videos, learning about software, studying other photographers' work, and then more time trying to practice what I'm learning.

My morning walks with Amber and Oz are frequently among my best moments. Lately, the early morning light at the beach is fascinating. The strong highlights on the water are mesmerizing. This photo from Saturday is one I love, and puts into practice a lot of what I've been working on. The dark moodiness almost looks like moonlight but it is hard morning sunlight.

There are more of these to come. I'll post more later, maybe not as best moments but just because.

No comments: