Saturday, February 17, 2018

Maria blog day 29, October 20, 2017, Friday

Friday, October 20, day 29

I must have done something today besides feed the horses and eat pizza at Carole's, but I darned if I know what it was.

Friday night pizza has become a ritual, a new post-hurricane tradition.


We stop at Cofo's, a side-of-the-road pizza truck. It's just a block or so from Carole and Rolf's house so the pizza is nice and hot when we get there.

Cofo's has the same problems the rest of us have - no electric, no water. They, like so many, are operating on a generator. They normally have the usual variety of toppings but with no refrigerator, right now they only have cheese, no extras.


I didn't know a plain cheese pizza could taste so good!

They are usually open 'til midnight but now they pretty much close by dark. They only make a limited amount of dough. When that's gone, they're done for the night. Last week we were a little late getting there and they had taken all the orders they could fill for the day. Okay, I get it.

This week Jose saw me walk up. He asked me what I wanted, I told him two large to go. OK. He made sure we got our pizzas. He made them in order but put them in ahead of some or the people waiting. When I went to pay, he said, "You are my regular customer. I need to take care of you>"

It was an amazing moment, Nothing I expected, nothing I asked for. Just a gift freely given and gratefully accepted.

No comments: