Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dia de Gracias - giving thanks

Fins up! Erin and Elaine play in the tidal pool at Middles Beach.

Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving. We did! We had a wonderful time with our friends Erin and Jason from Michigan. They came to visit us for the weekend. We picked them up a the airport here, took them to their room at Villa Tropical so they could change into shorts, and then we went to the beach. We then joined our local friends Marisol and her family, as well as friends 'Zan and Darryl for a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner - turkey, rice and beans, salad, mashed potatoes, and of course, great company. The weekend with Jason and Erin was spent getting in some snorkeling and swimming at various local beaches, enjoying some of the local cuisine and color, and hanging at Ola Lola's. The time was short and very special.

I moved pretty slowly all weekend. Thursday morning, while I was trimming the hibiscus ahead of Erin and Jason's visit, a ladder and I had a parting of the ways. I fell pretty hard and bruised my left side and ribs pretty badly. I tagged along on some of Elaine, Erin and Jason's adventures, but couldn't participate much. To make matters worse, I spiked a fever late Friday night. Saturday night I was pretty sick so Ola Lola's had its first-ever substitute bartender. Jason and stepped in and did a wonderful job helping Elaine run Ola Lola's. Elaine took over solo on Monday night. Thank you, guys, so much!

Having three days off is helping my ribs heal. Yesterday I did nothing but rest. The fever is gone. I won't be 100% by Friday - the ribs will still be a little sore - but I should be back behind the bar. And thinking about this past weekend, once again, I am reminded that we have the best friends in the world!

No comments: