Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Recovering...


but more slowly than I would hope.

More than 10 days out from my fall and I'm still a bit stiff and sore. My internal thermostat is finally back to normal after a week of hot/cold flashes with that fever early in the week.

I hate being sick or laid up. I went in the ocean for the first time in over a week on Friday - not even in the ocean, just the tidal pool at Middles Beach. Even the little waves in there were too much. I don't have the flexibility back yet to just float and bend with the waves. But it felt good to be in the sun and in the water.

There haven't been any new pictures for a while. No pictures of surfers, even though there have been waves. No pictures of kite surfers, even thought there has been wind. No KAP, even though there has been plenty of wind. I just haven't been able to go out to shoot.

I did "find" a few new kite surfing pictures from just before the accident and few surfing photos of the big waves Thanksgiving Day (one of those is above). The new pictures are now up on Flickr - check 'em out.

In a way I haven't missed much. The weather has been crazy! With apologies to all our friends in the Midwest and Northeast who are dealing with a major winter storm and sub-freezing temperatures, we've had our own version of a winter storm. We've had constant winds in the 25-30 mph range, constant 24 hours a day. We had huge driving rain squalls. And, relatively speaking, it's been cool. People at Ola Lola's have been wearing jackets and sweatshirts in the evening. This morning the low was SIXTY-EIGHT DEGREES! Okay, it's a far far cry from the 18 degree windchill in Michigan, but that equals the record low for this date here.

The waves have been what the surfers call "washing machine" - churned up, mixed up, big without really being surfable. Because the ocean is churned up, kite surfers have had a hard time even with the big winds.

The winds are calm this morning and surf predictions are 3-5 feet. I'm heading out in a few minutes to see who's on the waves. I feels really good to feel good enough to go shoot surfers.

No comments: