Thursday, February 07, 2013

Happy Birthday, Marti


Today would have been my mother's 86th birthday. We miss her everyday.

Tomorrow would have been my great-aunt Nora's 96th birthday. Just ten years apart, Marti and Nora were more like sisters than aunt and niece. Today one of Nora's daughters asked me if I have any pictures of the two of them together. Sadly, I don't.

How did we let this happen? I'm a photographer. I spend so much time looking for pictures I sometimes (frequently) miss important ones that are right in front of me. If we do capture those important moments, they frequently get consigned to shoe boxes or drawers dedicated to photos we don't think are important enough to organize and identify properly.

True, such organization takes time and many of us - me included - just don't take the time to do it. I don't make New Year's resolutions but I'm making these two resolutions for this Chinese New Year: first, not to miss the "little" moments; they are important. Second, to get better at labeling, tagging and identifying my photos.

 I hope to not say "No, I don't have  picture of them together" again.

No comments: