Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A visit from one of my heros


The other day I was looking at photos on Flickr when I saw something I recognized in a friend's photostream : the "no shirt no shoes no problem" sign at Calypso's in Rincon. And it was posted the day before! Which meant our friend (and my hero) Craig Wilson was in Puerto Rico.

Sure enough _ I got an e-mail from him and he, his wife Betsy and some local friends came to Ola Lola's.

Craig is a KAPper - a kite aerial photographer. But he is not just "a" KAPper, he is one of the best in the world. He does amazing photographs in amazing places, places it would scare the bejesus out of me just to fly a kite, let alone a kite with a camera rig attached. I fly my KAP rig on the beach, with lots of open space and open ocean around. Craig flies his over the state capitol building in Madison, Wisconsin (that's the cover shot of his book, "Hanging by a Thread" (which he gave me a signed copy of). And over concerts on the state capitol lawn. And over the University of Wisconsin football stadium. And...and...and... The list goes on and on.

Since he's been in Puerto Rico this trip, he's posted KAP photos of El Morro in Viejo San Juan, the Plaza del Quinto Centenario and the Plaza del Totem in Viejo San Juan, and the lighthouse at Cabo Rojo. (All links to Craig's photos are with his permission.)

We've been to Viejo San Juan and El Morro, but I haven't KAPped there yet. I still haven't even BEEN to Cabo Rojo, let alone KAPped it.

Craig is a master KAPper with a great eye and great skill. His work is an inspiration, not just to me, but to KAPpers all over the world. And the KAP part aside, his work is beautiful! We are honored to have him as a friend. Thanks for coming to visit.

You can see more of Craig's photos on his Flicker photostream.

No comments: