Monday, October 13, 2008

Update correction

I did some further digging last night and talked to the assistant chief for the Border Patrol here. Contrary to what I wrote yesterday, the Border Patrol and Coast Guard do NOT burn the yolas. The assistant chief told me it was probably teen vandals or somebody building a bonfire for a party on the beach.

I was really glad to hear that. The thought that the BP and/or CG were involved in such environmentally destructive actions really pissed me off. The assistant chief here is borderline obsessive about protecting the environment (as much as he was angry about illegal aliens landing, I think he was more angry about the damage their boat did to the reef and the trash they left on the beach). I couldn't image that he would condone burning a treated-wood and fiberglass boat.

I apolgize for my mistaken information.

2 comments:

cotterpin said...

I've spent the last hour "catching up" - reading your blog - and have added it to my home page. The DR story really touched me - you hear about the boats - then to see the photos adds in the humanity (or inhumanity) of the situation - and such contrasts of environment and living! Good reading...and education...Alison

cotterpin said...

An education...the photos...the "boat people" become real - and such contrasts in lifestyle - environment. I've added your blog to my home page to keep up with you guys...Ali