Wednesday, May 23, 2012

World Wide KAP Week

Playa Jobos on the 4th of July

World Wide KAP Week (WWKW) starts Saturday. So what's this all about anyway?

First, if you've followed us at all, you know I'm into KAP - Kite Aerial Photography. Basically, KAP is taking photographs with a camera suspended from a kiteline. KAP rigs can be as simple as a single-use film camera with a rubberband timer to release the shutter or as complex as gyro-controlled platforms with video downlinks so the KAPper can see what the camera in the sky sees.

My rig is somewhere in between. It is radio-controlled with system modified from an RC airplane controller. I can rotate the camera 360 degrees horizontally, 90 degrees vertically from straight out to straight down, and push the shutter. I could modify it further to allow me to zoom as well but I haven't done this as yet. I don't have any kind of video downlink so no, I can't see what I'm shooting. Most of the time I like the "Forest Gump's mother's box of chocolates approach" - I don't know what I've got 'til I get home and download the pictures. Except when I'm actually shooting a project for an actual paying client, I like the surprises, good and bad. I almost always learn something from a KAP session.

 WWKW is a week when KAPpers all over the world make a special effort to get out and KAP and then post their efforts in a special Flickr group. No prizes, not a competition, it's just a time to focus (pun intended) on KAP.

I have a list of places that I want to KAP this week, places I've been but not KAPped before. I hope to stretch my limits this week. I'll be posting the best of the efforts here and on Flickr so check back often.


No comments: