Monday, July 16, 2012

It's a holiday - who knew?

I've been trying for nearly three weeks to get some documents to the Environmental health people so we can finally get our health department permit. Ours expired in October. We've been inspected and passed; now it's just paperwork. I've been there several times and they were closed - too early and the office wasn't open yet, closed for lunch, too late in the day, whatever.

Today on what appeared to be a normal sunny beautiful Monday I cruised to the hospital where the health department office is located. I felt like I'd driven into the Twilight Zone. There was not one single car in the parking lot! Rod Serling's voice in my head, "This is strange." I parked in my personal choice parking space and walked up to the hospital door. Locked. A hospital door locked? Yep. Granted it's a small hospital. But locked doors?

I called Elaine and said, "I'm in the Twilight Zone here. Is this a holiday I didn't know about?"

"I don't know. Let me check."

Sure enough today is Luis Muñoz Rivera's birthday. Luis Muñoz Rivera was born on July 17, 1859. He was a poet, journalist and politician and a major figure in the struggle for political autonomy of Puerto Rico from both Spain and then the US. His birthday is a government holiday celebrated the third Monday of July.

No comments: