Tuesday, January 01, 2013

St. Lucia, part 1

(For everyone tuning in today for my essay on diving, oops! I got a little ahead of myself. St. Kitts and diving is tomorrow. Sorry about that. For today enjoy St. Lucia.)

The Pitons, one of the iconic features of  St Lucia

A long time ago, somewhere between Moses and the pyramids, when I was a kid, my uncle used to go away for three or four months every winter to either Trinidad or St Lucia. He was a snowbird before that was a recognizable term. He wasn't rich; he didn't stay in hotels or resorts. He rented a room from a local family. I've always wanted to visit those places he went and this cruise gave me a small opportunity. Now that I've been there, I - we! - definitely want to go back.

Of course it's not the same island it was nearly 50 years ago. Back then there were no Sandals resorts; they are now building the third on the island. Then the economy was driven mostly by sugar cane. Now it's driven by tourists. 

Obviously on a cruise you get a few hours on any given island. We used our limited time to take a boat/taxi tour around a bit of the western edge of the island from the capitol at Castries where the cruise ships dock south to Soufriere. (I have no reason to think this - other than a gut feeling - but I think Soufriere was where my uncle used to stay.)

St. Lucia is a volcanic island. On the west (the Caribbean side) at least cliffs like works of abstract art fall straight into the sea




The beaches tend to be nestled in coves.

  

We didn't get around on the north side but I understand the mountains flatten out somewhat and the beaches are wider. Definitely something to explore on another trip. 

Our boat tour stopped in Soufriere where we changed to a taxi. We'll continue the trip from there in part 2.

No comments: