Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Washing clothes in the rainy season


The rainy season has begun here. This past week it rained every day. That meant we had two kinds of clothes: wet, because we washed them and hung them out to "dry" and then it rained, and dirty, because there's no point in washing them because we can't dry them anyway.

This morning sun was shining and a breeze was blowing. Our solar clothes dryer was working again! We quickly washed the remaining dirty clothes and got them and the thrice-rain-soft-rinsed clothes out on the line. Everything got dry before the this afternoon's round of showers.

When I was a child, we didn't have a clothes dryer. They were a rarity then. I remember my mother hanging our clothes on lines stretched across our backyard. In the winter she hung them on lines running back and forth across our basement. Every time I hang clothes on the line to dry, I think of her. And miss her a littel more than I usually do.

No comments: