Monday, August 05, 2013

Swimming horses


Saturday morning, when I came back from running our usual pre-opening errands, Elaine and Marie were off riding KTJ and Zip. Since KTJ has a sore leg and/or hoof, I thought they just went to the beach. Chocolate looked so forlorn, I decided to join them. Thinking I was just going to the beach to swim - not really for a ride. I couldn't find the nylon hackamore I usually use with Choco (turns out Elaine had it on KTJ) so I just grabbed a  halter with a lead rope attached to both sides and a bareback pad. I mounted up and took off for the beach.

For a lot of people - our good friend Sam, for example - this is no big deal. For me it's HUGE!

Elaine and Marie were riding back toward home as I came over the dune. Elaine was so shocked to see me on Choco, bareback, and with just a halter she almost fell off KTJ.

So I've raised my own bar. Yesterday when we took KTJ, Chocolate and Zip for a dip in the ocean - always always always a fun adventure - I rode Choco bareback and just a halter.

I'm having fun with it but holy cats am I sore! You use your legs very differently when riding bareback than you do with a saddle. And Chocolate has a terrible bareback back. And then there is that whole guy anatomy thing. Trotting with no saddle and stirrups to help post is probably banned by some Geneva convention as a form of torture.

But it was fun and I will do it again.



I added a little twist to the adventure.

No comments: