Sunday, April 06, 2014

Home again


Back home in PR.

One of the frustrating things for me in St Lucia was the limitation on photo opportunities. Not that there is a lack of things to photograph. Quite the contrary. Photos, from beautiful scenics to documentaries of local life, are everywhere, begging to be taken. Taking photos, or too many photos, or photos in the "wrong" places definitely marks one as a tourist. For some reason, many of the Lucians are very touchy about photos. When I was in St Lucia in October, I wanted to take pictures in the Castries market. It's really cool and has photo subjects everywhere you turn. Two women jumped up and wagged their fingers at me: "No picture! No picture!"

I really wanted a picture of the check-in counter at the airport. It's over there on the left, under that overhang, just past the white car. It's illegal in St Lucia to take photos at the airport so this is the best I could do without getting arrested.

That tourist image is something Elaine has fought for six months. So keep in line, I had self-imposed limits on photography. The upshot is I have a head full of some of the best photos I've never taken.

So now I'm home again. My beach loves having it's picture taken!


No comments: