Monday, July 15, 2019

June, 2019 Cathedral, Buenos Aires


On a rainy morning a bunch of us walked the three or four blocks to the Plaza de Mayo. Our destination was a museum (more about that later) but because of the rain, we made stops along the way. One of our stops was this cathedral.

As cathedrals go, this one was pretty much what one would expect - ornate, lots of gold, designed to impress the faithful. 





Churches in general, except their historical or architectural significance, aren't really my thing.  A "house of worship?" If you believe, truly believe, why do you need a "house," especially one like this, to worship in? I don't get it.

There were a number of unsettling - to me at least - things in the church. For example, there was a stature of a nun, Sister Mary Somebody who was important to this church. I wasn't the stature that bothered me, it was the shadow on the wall behind her. The shadow felt ominous, menacing.


But what really got to me was outside the cathedral.


This person was huddled on the walk right outside the church. He (she?) wasn't the only one. Directly across the plaza from the church, under a portico covering the sidewalk along a commercial building,  there were a number of (apparently) homeless people, including kids and families.


(By the time I could get this photo, a number of people left. When we first saw them, this entire area was packed.)

I don't know what any of their stories are, why they are here, why they stay. But it seems to me the church should have a place for them. Several people said the church probably does help, and that's probably correct. But maybe they could do more. These people are living on the street.

And it's not just the church. At the other end of the Plaza de Mayo is the Casa Rosada - the Pink House, the Government Palace, the Argentine equivalent of the White House.


I probably shouldn't too judgemental. It's not like there aren't thousands of homeless living within sight of the White House in Washington.

Still, it bothers me.

No comments: