Tuesday, May 23, 2017

best moment Sunday 170514 Mothers Day


Hope all the mothers had a wonderful, special day. We miss our mothers, Elaine and I, not just on Mother's Day, but every day. And on this particular Mother's Day, none of the important mothers in my life were around,

So, Marie and I celebrated Mother's Day by going for a ride. And after all, this is a post about best moments.


I took the time with Chocolate again before the ride. As we now say, I "phoned ahead for an appointment." It was a beautiful ride!

The importance of taking time to make a solid connection with the horse from the beginning became even more apparent about halfway through the ride.

We left the beach and started over dune through a pass we used dozens of times. For some reason both horses were skittish and hesitant to go through. But eventually they did go over the dune with Chocolate and me in the lead. As we came down the back side of the dune, Choco stopped and shied. Something was really freaking him out. He tried to spin but we were in a tight space on the trail, what horse people call a "squeeze." He tried to back up but Marie and Zip were right behind us. There was nowhere to run.

From the saddle I managed to calm Choco and get him to stand still. I dismounted and he immediately let me lead him past the "danger." (We still don't know what it was. It's not important that we don't perceive whatever it was as a danger - the horses do.)

How gently and calmly this situation - which could have been extremely dangerous to both horses and riders - was resolved is due in part to the mutual trust and respect Chocolate and I have developed over the past couple of years. He now sees me as a leader, as someone he can follow and be safe. Until recently he hasn't truly seen me as a trustworthy leader. In a pinch (or a "squeeze") he believed he needed to take charge because he didn't fully trust me.

That changed on Sunday. Or at least it became evident. Once I dismounted, he was ready and willing to follow me anywhere, even past what he perceived as mortal danger. (Horses see all possible danger as mortal. There are no grey areas for horses.)

I firmly believe the calm resolution was also due to the time spent making that connection, making that "phone call for an appointment" at the beginning. We were totally synced. And it got us safely out of a tight spot.

It was another gorgeous ride and another best moment connecting with my horse. I love it!


No comments: