Saturday, June 03, 2017

Best moment Thursday 170601


Oh the irony! The best weather day we've had in three weeks was June 1 - official opening day of hurricane season.

It was kind of a day of best moments: the electricity came back on after being off for 24 hours. No one knows why it was off, let alone why it was off for so long.

I actually went in the ocean for some Vitamin Sea therapy. Still didn't get dive yet but I did snorkel for an hour.

And the best moment of all was I took KTJ for a walk to the ocean. She really hasn't been out since Elaine left and she needed an outing. A couple of things about this outing: One, I'm used to being around the horses, to have all three crowd around me. I've worked with KTJ (who, remember is an almost 17-hand Thoroughbred) but a rarely take her for walks. When we work with horses, we talk about our personal space, our "bubble." When you (or in this case I) walk with her on a narrow trail, "bubble" takes on a whole new dimension. She is a big girl!

The other thing I need to mention is how good she was. I admit I was nervous taking her to the beach. The last time I did that coming home she bucked and reared and threw a bunch of kicks. No one was hurt but when it was scary. When she gets up on her hind legs, she's not just big, she's huge! And thos kicks! So I was nervous. But I didn't want to transfer my nervousness to her because that would make her nervous and more likely to act up.

I just talked to her all the way home. "Good girl! What a good girl! It's all good we're fine." Okay it was a lot of self-talk but it kept both of us calm. We got home without a single incident. Next time, I can respect her size and space, but I don't think I will be as nervous. Watchful, yes. Nervous, not as much.

No comments: