Saturday, June 17, 2017

Best moment Friday 170616

Happy birthday - to ME! Yep I survived another lap around the sun and I'm here to tell about it.

For the two of you who are wondering this is not the umpteenth anniversary of my 29th birthday. Well, actually it is, but that's not how I look at it. I have 66 years and I am proud of it. I will wear every one of those years as a badge of honor.

So was there a special best moment? Several actually. Elaine made me baked oatmeal apple crisp for breakfast. We had lunch together, even if it was in the car on the road trying to get errands done before the rain. It didn't rain. Listening to my grand children sing happy birthday on the phone.

And this sounds weird but...Facebook. For all the crap on fb - and there is a shit-ton of it - on a day like your birthday it is an amazing thing. Okay, I get it: it's abbreviated. It's shorthand. It's an excuse to say, "I connected" without having to actually do anything like write a letter or send a card  or even make a telephone call. But...

More that a hundred people took a moment to say "happy birthday." Some of them wrote very touching personal comments. And in response I took a moment to consider each one of those people, who they are in my life, what they mean to me. Some of those people only have passing contact in my life; without fb we probably would have lost touch with each other. Some of those people were very important in my life years ago and we did lose touch, only to find contact again through fb. 

That's really why I stay on social media, to keep that contact. Not for the memes or the politics but for the people. I'm 2,000 physical miles away from some of these folks. It's nice to be reminded of who they are, who they were, and who they've become.

No comments: