Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A beautiful day


I've posted pictures like this one before - it's the view as you top the dune at the end of the calle that we take down to the beach. I go over this dune at least once a day, some days more often. Every time I walk down there it is an "oh my god" moment. When I walk out from under the trees and see the ocean open up in front of me, I just have to stop a moment. It doesn't matter if it's sunny or gray, that vista opening up is truly awesome. Every time I thank the universe for this place and for allowing us to share it.

But some days are special. Some days it is so beautiful it takes your breath away. Some days "oh my god" just isn't enough. The colors - the emerald greens and turquoise and deep star-sapphire blue of the ocean and the paler, softer blue of the sky - are almost physical. You feel the colors as much as see them. You can almost taste what "green" is like; you can almost smell "blue."

Monday was such a day. The photo is a washed-out, blah representation of the real thing. I try, but there is just no way to capture it. It's fleeting. It is right now but only for a moment. You have to be here to experience it.

No comments: