Saturday, February 02, 2008

I saw whales!!

Finally! I got to see whales breeching off Wilderness Beach this morning!

Last year I was taking pictures at a surf competition at Surfers Beach. Somebody said, "Did you see the whales?"

"No. I was watching the surfers."

About 5 minutes later, somebody else ran up to me and asked "did you see the whales? Did you get a picture of them?"

"No. I missed them."

This basic exchange was repeated half-a-dozen times or more. Seems everybody on this island saw whales that day but me!

Well, today I finally got to see whales. It is an incredible sight! I talked to some long-time islanders who told stories about diving with them or coming up from a dive and seeing them overhead. Wow! Someday...

For now I'm just grateful I got to see them at all.

No comments: