Sunday, January 09, 2011

Morning beach ride


We took a little beach ride this morning to let the horses go swimming - or at least wade around in the ocean a bit. Elaine rode KTJ, Sam rode her 32-year-old Paso Fino Nappy and I rode Chocolate.

Damn, that boy has a boney back to ride bareback!

KTJ did really well. She waded in a little and pawed at the water then walked back in the water at the edge. That's pretty amazing. Just a couple of months ago she would have spooked sideways and moved up the beach away from the water. Now she's taking it in stride, literally.

Chocolate was a pistol. Because Elaine has been sick all week, he hasn't been riden as much as usual and he was a handful. Hanging on was the worse because I didn't had a proper bridle, just a halter with a rope. I didn't feel like I had much control so we didn't venture in the water. But we made it and had a good time doing it. I probably won't try riding with just a halter again anytime soon.

No comments: