Friday, February 02, 2007

Happy Mongoose Day!!!

(These are NOT mongeese. That's Jazz on your left in the blue collar and Amber on your right. Amber does not look happy.)


It's about time to open Lola's but I just want to wish everyone a Happy Mongoose Day! Back in the States it's Groundhog Day, but I don't think we have groundhogs in Puerto Rico. We do most definitely have mongeese (mongooses?) though. It's been pretty cloudy today so I'm pretty sure Jobos Jerry - the official winter-predicting mongoose - did not see his shadow. If I remember the lore correctly that means winter is almost over here! Woo-hooooo! I'm getting really tired of having to put extra covers on the bed during these nights with temps in the 70s.

Okay, I apologize to y'all up north. That was (unintentionally) mean. I talk to E. two or three times a day and I listen to Michigan Public Radio on the Internet a lot so I hear the temp and snow forecasts. I'm almost embarrassed to be here. Almost.

In some tiny way I do miss the snow. No, what I think I really miss is being with E. and our dogs. I miss snuggling under the covers on a cold morning, especially days when we didn't have to get up (not that there were ever many of those!). I miss running our two Vizslas in the snow. The older one, Amber, loves to to have you kick snow and he jumps and tries to catch it. He has a great leap. We measured his jump one time - it was more than 15 FEET from take-off to landing. That's a jump!

Gotta go open. I hope to start the gastronomic tour tonight with a visit to the UFO stand. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

indianajen said...

Hi there John...

Jason and Jen here. Just wanted to let you know it's 5 below zero here tonight...with a wind chill of 15 below.

We hate you right now...nothing personal...

keep living the dream!

-J&J