Thursday, February 01, 2007

Katy's last day

Today is Katy's last day here. (If you're just joining us, Katy is the original Lola). Early tomorrow morning she leaves for Japan for a month. When she comes back she'll live up "on the mountain," not down here near the beach.

Katy is the person I've been closest to here for the last month. It hasn't always been easy for either of us. There have been disagreements, misunderstandings, numerous changes of plans, moments of shared joy and moments of shared sorrow. It's been a month of transitions for both of us. Still, she has been a huge help in my transition and in moving Ola Lola's and all the permits over to us. Quite literally, I don't know how I would have done it without her.

In some ways it is hard to watch her go. There is something that feels so final about her going. It is another transition. I realize now I have relied on her, on her presence, on the fact that she speaks fluent Spanish, more than I really understood.

There is a sense of loss in her going, a friend passing from my life. Ten cuidado alli, Katy.

No comments: