Monday, February 19, 2007

Photo of the day 19 de febero de 2007


The surfers are all expecting big swells today and tomorrow. They weren't bad yesterday either. There was a surf competition yesterday on Surfer's Beach, about 10 minutes from Ola Lola's, so I went down to check it out. The morning competitors, when I was there were mostly younger surfers, junior classes, I guess. Some of those kids were pretty good.

But down the beach, outside the official competition area, was "open surfing" for anyone. A couple of these surfers, like this guy, were good and looked like they were having a blast.

There are more pictures from yesterday on Flickr, www.flickr.com/photos/ola-lolas.

I really don't understand surfing competitions. I don't understand how the competition works and I don't understand how they attract spectators and so much sponsor money.

I've run and been involved in stunt kite competitions for years. Kite event organizers put lots of effort into informing the public about their events in an effort to attract spectators. We spend lots of money on sound systems, it part to make announcements to keep those spectators informed about what's going on and what they are seeing on the competition field. Event announcers keep up a more-or-less running commentary on what's going on, introducing competitors, announcing what's coming next, recognizing sponsors, and announcing competition results. Event organizers produce printed programs that range from simple to complex to help inform spectators. The idea is better informed spectators are more likely to become more involved in the sport. Organizers fret and worry over food and kite vendors.

Surfing competitions - at least the ones I've been to so far - don't do any of those things. No sound system, no announcements, no program, no information at all. I don't even know how spectators find out about the competition. (I stumbled into because the word among surfers stopping a Lola's was the surf at Surfer's Beach should be good over the next few days. I went looking for surfer photos.) There is an air horn that signals the competitors out on the water. I'm guessing the horn signals the start and end of the competition time window, but I don't know that for sure. And there was nothing to tell me, no way to find out.

The part of the competition I was youngsters so many of the spectators were parents and siblings. But there were other spectators as well, sitting in folding chairs, and seemingly perfectly happy to be there. There was none of the festival atmosphere kite event organizers work so hard to develop. No food vendors except some teenagers connected to the event selling chips, water and bananas. At this event at least, no board, swimsuit, or sunglass vendors.

Yet there seems to be a ton of sponsor money in the sport. A couple was in Lola's a couple of weeks ago. They said their 15-year-old son was going to make $50,000 last year in prize money, endorsements, and travel money. He's competed here, in South and Central American, Mexico and up an down the U.S. East Coast. And he's just one kid!

I know there are a few big companies in the sport - O'Neill comes to mind. But like stunt kiting, there are a lot of "cottage industry" companies. One of the best "board shapers" in the world has his "factory and showroom" in a little two-story place about a mile from Lola's. Where does all the money come from? I don't get it.

Something for continued investigation I guess. Stay tuned.

It's raining on our corner of the world - welcome rain. But it may mean the end of my internet access so I'm gonna post this while I can.

No comments: