Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Giving back to the universe

A question we get asked a lot is "Do you know how lucky you are to be here?"

The simple answer is yes, we do know. I give thanks to my personal gods, the forces and karma of the universe and our guardian angels every day for allowing us to share this little corner of paradise.

One afternoon last week I had an opportunity to give a little tiny bit back to the universe.

An elderly couple stopped outside Lola's. I heard them talking (but couldn't hear what they were saying). We were closed so I walked out to let them know we'd be open in an hour or so.

They were standing by the fence, looking at the mangoes and the mango tree. The man said, "I used to have a mango tree like that. I haven't seen one for years."

I said, "Would you like to take a couple mangoes with you?"

He actually got teary-eyed and said, "Oh, could I have one? I'd like to plant it so I can have a mango tree again."

I asked him if there were any that especially caught his eye. He pointed to a beautiful one and said that one would be just fine.

"His" mango was in a cluster of three. I pulled off all three and gave them to him.

We - the couple and I - talked for a few more minutes. I invited them to Lola's but he said they are Christian and don't drink alcohol. I offered them water but they declined. As they left, the man got soft-eyed again and thanked me again for the mangoes.

A simple mango brought back this man's memories of his childhood and his youth. And those memories brought him joy.

I hope that gift of a mango gives back just a tiny bit to universe that allows us to have a yard that has a mango tree in it.

2 comments:

Destiny said...

That's very nice of you. That's how I always thought of giving back to the universe - giving spontaneously, from your heart, and giving more than was expected - to the more people, the better. Giving makes you feel happy, thus you create an amazing high vibration that attracts good events into your life. I also have learned by reading around the net that teaching is also a great "giving back to the universe" tool, as when you teach there's also the same type of energy released into the universe. Some people have learned to meditate and "virtually" release it, on a daily basis - all you have to do is want to improve our planet and help others...if you get interested in it, the right tools will "come to you" - so I won't provide any links, b/s we all have our paths. Do you want an experiment? For example, leave a couple of dollars "forgotten" on a bench at a bus stop. Let the Universe decide who needs it. The person who needs it right now, will pick it up and thank the invisible forces. Congratulations, you've just given back to the Universe in a very mystical way, as you served as its tool. Think outside the box of other ways to give back = and remember, this is not about the recognition, so try to keep quiet about it - make it a little "secret" between you and the universe. Bragging and complaining are two "holes" in the packets of energy that you send to the Universe - they will both ground you, whereas the excercise is to develop a "special" relationship with the universe based on trust and wonderful energy exchange. I would also ditto for the foul language, which creates really low vibrations and results into unpleasant things down the road. Most of all, I wish all readers happy discoveries and self-improvement! Theres so much to learn!

redebonyhotspot said...

Hi Ola Lola,
loving your blog and especially it's blog title. Please add me to your blog link http://redebonyhotspot.blogspot.com
I am a writer and a photographer, i blog about everything. I've thought about giving back to the universe through a string of articles, short stories, i'm a person with loads of ideas, and i love sharing them with the right people.When i first started giving back to the universe all sorts of incredibly positive things would happen to me. I'd land a photoshoot with the FA CUP, McDONALDS, Sainsbury's, i'd learn really priceless things, it was fab. I loved it, and i felt incredible. Also i would always find money and a new teacher would appear.