Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Day

Well, we started our first festival de chiringas (kite festival) in Puerto Rico today.

We flown kites on New Years Day since 1990 - and we gotta keep those traditions alive. Promotion for the event was just word of mouth and through the store. We had, I don't know, maybe a hundred people all together either stop in their cars to watch us fly or actually stop and talk with us. A couple of families came and flew kites.

Even though there are several kite festivals on the island, it's not a great tradition here. When we talked about a kite festival, pretty much nobody had a clue what we were talking about. Certainly New Year's Day is not a big time for kite flying.

Since 1990 we've missed only missed flying kites on New Year's Day one time. New Year's Day, 2005, we were on a cruise. We had kites we planned to fly off the deck of the cruise ship. But that day we were doing 16 knots INTO a 68 knot wind. Just a bit too strong for the little kites we could pack in our luggage.

1 comment:

Electric Motor Mike said...

John, I should have flown on new years day. Instead I went to the shop and put ducks in a row for 2007. Next year I'm going to get that done early (I hope)so I can get a line in my hands and feel the tug of the wind. There really is nothing like it. Best of luck for 2007 and your new venture. Mike Dertien