Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Photo(s) of the day 23 de enero de 2007


One of the things that really impresses E. is that we have coconut palms in our yard. And she's right: it is pretty amazing. We have coconut palms in our yard! And a couple of different kind.

A few of the coconuts are just about ripe so I wll me tasting fresh coconut milk right from our own trees very soon.

I wondered about a couple of things about the coconut palms. One, they all seem to have these little chinks in the trunk. At first I thought that's just the way the bark is. I also wondered how they cut the coconuts down. I assumed a long ladder. Well, the photo on the right answers both questions.

The little holes in the bark are caused by the spikes used by the guys who climb the trees to cut the coconuts down. If you've never seen coconuts growing, they grow in bunches, kinda like bananas. A guy climbs up the tree carrying a machete and the end of a rope. He ties the rope to a bunch of coconuts then cuts them loose. A partner on the ground lowers the bunch then sends the rope back up for another bunch.

No comments: