Friday, March 16, 2007

Photo of the Day 16 de marzo de 2007



I finally got out to do some kite aerial photography (KAP) yesterday. We've had howling winds the past few days and the wind has been driving some great waves - not great for surfing because they're too choppy and disorganized. But they are beautiful and powerful and amazing. Like the flames of a fire, waves can be mesmerizing. The ocean's colors are always - I hate to use the word amazing again, but they truly are amazing. Cliches like "never-ending kaleidoscope,' in addition being hackneyed and trite, don't come anywhere close to describing the effect. When waves are added to the mix, the visual effect is awesome.

I've shot a lot of pictures of the waves and the ocean from "ground level" and from the top of the kasrts formations, but I've been intrigued for a long time about the possibility of shooting the waves from above with my KAP rig. The winds here are usually out of the northeast which is slightly on-shore on our corner of the island. That makes it hard to get the camera OVER the water. Yesterday I found a point on one of the karst formations where I could get a little bit off-shore and fly the kite over the waves. This is one of the pics from the shoot.

I've also been trying to shoot sunset with the KAP rig. Yesterday was not a great sunset but I did some shooting anyway. These are more typical of the kinds of photos I get looking out at the ocean (because of those pesky on-shore winds) rather than getting over the water.

The best of both the afternoon and sunset shoots are up on the Flickr site www.flickr.com/photos/ola-lolas.

Enjoy! and feel free to comment.

No comments: