Friday, March 30, 2007

Photo(s) of the day 30 de marzo de 2007







(more photos at www.flickr.com/photos/ola-lolas)

It has been a wild week here on the corner.

Monday I was feeling pretty good - I was going to write about the flood on the road between Lola's and Villa Montana. It rained most of the evening but business was surprisingly good. About 10:15 I heard voices outside. I looked out and saw car lights and people down where the road curves. I thought, "damn, another accident on the curve." People take the curve way too fast and there have been a couple of fender-benders there.

But this time there were more people and more cars in front of Lola's. So I went out to investigate. Turns out the road was flooded and the cars couldn't get through. I offered what comfort I could (in the form of beer and pop, but no takers). A young couple left their car by our little parking lot and walked down the little calle to the beach and on to Villa Montana. Their was an couple, our age or maybe a little younger who were a complete contrast.

They alternated between anger - at the river for flooding, as if it happened just to inconvenience them, then at Villa Montana for not having someone there in a 4x4 immediately to pick them up - and high anxiety. It was like they were afraid they'd never get "home."

The whole - what do the weather people call it, a weather event? - weather event lasted maybe an hour. The river went back down, the road opened up and all was good.

And like I said, I was feeling pretty good 'cause it didn't effect us.

By Wednesday I wasn't feeling so smug. In the afternoon more rain, bigger floods and this time we got it. Today's photos are of the garden. The first one or the garden was taken about 1:45, while it was raining, the second one about an hour later. In that time the garden filled with water. It got up to the level of the seat of a lawn chair. The bar had about a foot of water in it. Cars and people backed up, lining the road. Being the good entrepreneur I am, I was out selling beer, chips, pop and juice. Seriously!

Scott and Eileen, you had "lake front" property for a while. The water didn't get quite to your place but Felix's house on the corner was full of water - and mud. Fortunately, the water never got close to the first level of our house. Mike, the former owner of Villa Tropical, said this was within about six inches of the highest he's seen the water.

But again, it didn't last long. The water started going down in about an hour. So I spent much of yesterday cleaning out the bar, cleaning out the mud. Oh well! I'd planned to scrub the floor this week anyway.

Besides yucky mud, the big issue yesterday was mosquitoes. Warm weather+lots of rain+no breeze=moscas.

Today we have yesterday's breeze and today's. It's back to being windy on the corner. I'm not complaining though.

Yesterday the ocean blew up as well with 15-foot waves at Wilderness and 8-10 footers at Shacks. But that's another post.

No comments: