Friday, April 05, 2019

MARIA log, April 3 Day 193 Tuesday



I've been diving at Crashboat several times since the hurricane. I'm kind of used to the idea that it is now a wreck dive.

The dive today was supposed to be with two friends. Neither of them could make it so I went alone. This dive was both magical and surreal. The juxtaposition of swimming through the wreckage and listening to the distant whale song was incredible. As I said, surreal and magical at the same time.

(Full disclosure: I did not record the whale song in the video. It is from iWhales on Soundcloud. I tried to record the sounds as I heard them during the dive, but the audio in my underwater camera just wasn't up to it. The idea here is to give you the sense of what I heard and felt.)

NOW; I haven't heard whales in the water since that dive a year ago. I listen every time I get in the water. I didn't see any whales from shore this season either. They were out there - others saw them. but I didn't. Next year.

No comments: