Friday, December 14, 2018

MARIA log December 14 Day 82 Thursday

Thursday, December 14, day 82

I should be in Ohio right now but I'm not. I' home in Isabela.

Maybe I should have known; maybe I did know. All day yesterday I felt these little twinges. But I didn't fee bad. I wrote it off to too much sun.

On the way to San Juan the fever hit will full force. First hot, so I turned up the AC in the rental car. Then I started to chill. Turned down the AC. Still cold. Turned up the heat.(!) I started to shiver, Turned the heat up to high. The chills, the shivering were so intense, so violent, so uncontrollable, so non-stop, I was actually afraid it wasn't fever chills at all, but some kind of neurological event. Alone and truly afraid, I drove on through the tropical night with the heat blasting on high, shivering like I was naked in a snowstorm.

When I got to San Juan, I sat in the parking lot of the car rental place, waiting for the chills to subside. I got out of the car, nauseous, dizzy. I staggered like a drunk into the office and told the guy I was suppose to leave the car there and take their shuttle to the airport but I wasn't going to, I was going back to Isabela.

I called Elaine to tell her I wasn't coming and why. There followed a fairly tense conversation about why I would not get a room or stay in a hotel in San Juan, why for my own psyche I need to be home in Isabela.

I got home and in my own bed about 1:30 a.m. The drive back from San Juan wasn't nearly as tense, intense or interesting as the drive over.

I went to the doctor this morning. Basically it's an undetermined tropical fever: bed rest, lots of fluids, you know the drill.

So here I am in bed instead of helping Elaine and playing with my grandkids. Humbug!

Most sunny today with these occasional odd light sprinkles out of nowhere.

No comments: